When you walk the stairs down to your basement, don’t you feel like you are walking in a time warp back to 1965? With a basement that totally looks outdated, dull, dirty and tired, I wonder how you even spend some time there!
Do you know basements have become hot commodities in the real estate these days? Buyers nowadays, ask for finished basements too. A basement that is well furnished and renovated seems like a complete package for the renters as well as buyers. The sellers are not behind, with a well-renovated basement, the value of their home is uplifted, and they can get a price higher than the one they had put with dull basement.
If you have not considered your basement potential, it’s time that you add it into your priority list now because properties with finished basements become more functional and can be a great source of extra income if you are not planning to use it for yourself. Let us look at some of the other potential reasons for basement renovation-
1) Add more living space- The best reason to renovate your basement is to enhance your living space without having to go through external construction that comes with its own complexities like obtaining a permit. When you have a basement, it is a plus point since you can partition it into creating various rooms such as, bedrooms, bathrooms, a separate kitchen and maybe an extra living room. Thus, there is no need to cut down a portion of your main floors to add an extra living space when you have a basement to renovate.
2) Increase your home’s value- As discussed above, the demand for finished basements is increasing day by day. So, it could be a good opportunity for you to make some great amount of money if you are planning to sell your home. It can add dollar value to your home.
3) Use it for various purposes- There is no restriction on how you can remodel your basement. You can renovate it to add anything you like. You can use it as an office space, recreational area, your fitness zone, storage space, laundry or a playroom for kids. There are ample options to decide. Once you have made a decision, call your professional construction contractors, to help you build a layout that fits well.
4) Better storage place- If your house is all cluttered with miscellaneous things and you lack space to keep it, use your basement instead. You can create a huge closet with multiple cabinets in your basement to keep all the stuff that makes your home look messier, whether they are heavy appliances, clothes, magazines, books or toys of your children.
5) Give it on rent- If you are planning to construct your basement as a complete living space, then it can be a great opportunity to earn extra money. Give it on rent! This way, your basement will remain maintained and when you are jobless on some days; you will still have some income in hand.